Kannada language, also called Kanarese or Kannana, member of the Dravidian language family and the official language of the state of Karnataka in southern India. Kannada is also spoken in the states that border Karnataka. Early 21st-century census data indicated that some 38 million individuals spoke Kannada as their first language; another 9 to 10 million were thought to speak it as a secondary language. In 2008 the government of India granted Kannada classical-language status.
Kannada is the second oldest of the four major Dravidian languages with a literary tradition. The oldest Kannada inscription was discovered at the small community of Halmidi and dates to about 450 ce. The Kannada script evolved from southern varieties of the Ashokan Brahmi script. The Kannada script is closely related to the Telugu script; both emerged from an Old Kannarese (Karnataka) script. Three historical stages are recognised: Old Kannada (450–1200 ce), Middle Kannada (1200–1700 ce), and Modern Kannada (1700 ce–present).
The word order is subject–object–verb, as in the other Dravidian languages. Verbs are marked for person, number, and gender. The case-marking pattern is nominative-accusative, with experiencer subjects taking the dative inflection. Most inflection is rendered through affixation, especially of suffixes. The language uses typical Dravidian retroflex consonants (sounds pronounced with the tip of the tongue curled back against the roof of the mouth), such as /ḍ/, /ṇ/, and /ṭ/, as well as a series of voiced and voiceless aspirates borrowed from the Indo-Aryan language family.
Three regional varieties of Kannada are identifiable. The southern variety is associated with the cities of Mysore and Bangalore, the northern with Hubli-Dharwad, and the coastal with Mangalore. The prestige varieties are based on the Mysore-Bangalore variety. Social varieties are currently characterized by education and class or caste, resulting in at least three distinct social dialects: Brahman, non-Brahman, and Dalit (formerly untouchable). A diglossia or dichotomy also exists between formal literary varieties and spoken varieties.
Kannada literature began with the Kavirajamarga of Nripatunga (9th century ce) and was followed by Pampa’s Bharata (941 ce). The earliest extant grammar is by Nagavarma and dates to the early 12th century; the grammar of Keshiraja (1260 ce) is still respected. Kannada literature was influenced by the Lingayat (Virasaiva) and the Haridasa movements. In the 16th century the Haridasa movement of vernacular devotional song reached its zenith with Purandaradasa and Kanakadasa, the former considered the father of Karnatak music, the classical music of southern India.
Ella Kannadaabhimanigala Antharrashtriya Vedike In
ಎಲ್ಲಾ ಕನ್ನಡ ಅಭಿಮಾನಿಗಳ ಅಂತರರಾಷ್ಟೀಯ ವೇದಿಕೆ – ಈಕವಿ
ಬನ್ನಿ ಎಲ್ಲಾ ಕನ್ನಡಿಗರು ಒಂದಾಗಿ ಕನ್ನಡ ಕೆಲಸಕ್ಕೆ ಮುಂದಾಗೋಣ…
EKAVI NADEDUBANDA DAARI
Welcome to E-KAVI and ellaKAVI@yahoogroups.com
EKAVI Suvarna Sambrama Program
EKAVI KUVEMPU program photos
EKAVI Rajkumar Rasa Sanje Program
EKAVI GoK School Adoption
Ella Kannada Abhimaanigala Vedike International
“E-KAVI” is A GLOBAL PLATFORM FOR KANNADIGAS ALL OVER THE WORLD.
E-KAVI’s website is: http://www.ekavi.org .
EKAVI Inagurated in 2003, uddeshagalu mattu nadedu banda daari
E-KAVI has started forming Committees in all 27 Districts of Karnataka State to have meetings every month by Kannadigas in that FM 91 Meeting
THE ENTIRE ekavi 27 Districts Network is here in the following URL;
eKAVI 27 District Communities-seri EKAVIge mattu EKAVI district communityge
This helps to develop network of Kannadigas working for Kannada.
EKAVI 177 Talukh Communities
EKAVI BANGALORE LOCAL COMMUNITIES
EKAVI COUNTRY COMMUNITIES
EKAVI USA STATES NETWORK,
EKAVI 29 Districts and 177 Taluqs Communities-Joinall of Your Communities
Kannadigas have expressed interest in the following type of activities in “E-KAVI”,
E -KAVI is an International Kannada Vedike dedicated to:
- holistic suite of activities of Kannada people
- people of Kannada origin
- people interested in culture of Karnataka and Kannada literature
- preserve and promote Kannada heritage and culture
- network all kannada kootas / associations / sanghas / vedikes all around the world
- to develop methods and to teach kannadiga youths to become responsible leaders, professionals in all fields and to become part of powerful democracy in the world.
- the rich diversity of languages with roots and expanse in Karnataka to include tuLu, konkaNi, koorgi, havyaka, sanketi, bRuhaccaraNa , Etc.
- to provide more prestige for the Kannada language and its culture.
- to see that Kannadigas would continue to enrich our language and contribute to our motherland,
- to help educational institutions in different countries to programs and courses in Kannada and it’s culture.
- to strenghten the activities of Kannadigas here in North America and all over the world and to create a unified voice.
- to respect the thoughts of the others. When Kannadigas recognize the opinion of the others, automatically it shows the respect we each other give.
E-KAVI has got good support from Kannadigas all over the world and they are promoting in their area.
E-KAVI has embarked on collecting books and submitting to LIBRARY of CONGRESS in USA.
E-KAVI is developing KANNADA JOB PORTAL for Kannadigas in Karnataka. E-KAVI is working on this to unite all kannada yahoogroups to work together and to help all kannadigas.
Ondu aarogyavanta charchegalige nammade ada E-Kavi ya Forum ge sere.
Nevu Ee kela kandanta jaladalli register madikolle.
EKAVI Pakshaateeta Kannada Pranalike article
idannu odi nodi – Kuvempu ravara uddeshavannu E-KAVIyu paalisuttide
Kannada Ballvarige Matra Karnatakadalli Kelasa by KUVEMPU
E Kavi Bangalore Inaugurated
by Dr. Chandrashekara Kambara on January 18 2004
Baanuvaara janavari 18raMdu naDeda I-kavi beMgaLUru udGaaTaneya saMpUrNa varadi.
Ella Kannada AbhimaanigaLa Vedike International “EKAVI”
Get involved with EKAVI Community !!
EKAVI ಈ-ಕವಿ COMMUNITY on ORKUT – 560 members
EKAVI ಈ-ಕವಿ COMMUNITY on YAHOO – 3500 members
EKAVI mattu ellakavi Group
E-MAIL CAMPAIGN TO IMPLEMENT MAHISHI REPORT
Mysore , Sept. 17 (KCU)- An e-mail signature campaign from Kannadigas all over the world has been launched by V. M. Kumaraswamy, founder of e-Kavi, a forum of Kannada lovers from all over the world, to urge the Government to implement the Dr. Sarojini Mahishi Report.
Please sign the online petition with your comments for effective implementation of Dr.Sarojini Mahishi Report at:
http://www.petition online.com/ ellakavi/ petition. html
Effective implementation of Dr. Sarojini Mahishi will get us:
1.To get Karnataka’s rightful share in all the Indian jobs (See Chart of government of India survey).
2.To get the control of seat of power at Vidhana saudha, which is captured by migrant lobbies through deceit.
3.To get Kannadigas their OWN jobs in Karnataka government and other jobs in Karnataka.
4.To throw out forgers in seat of power who have used false migration certificates, false Kannada proficiency certificates etc apart from regular corruption in recruitment methods.
- Anand of Akruthi Fonts on Baraha, NUDI and KGP
- Anbarsan on NUDI, KAGAPA and KGP
- Ancient and Medieval Karnataka
- Bangalore, Karnataka and Kannada
- CIIL Kannada
- Classical status to Kannada
- Dr. Rajkumar
- EKAVI 29 Districts
- EKAVI Activities
- EKAVI College
- EKAVI Colleges
- EKAVI ellaKAVI
- EKAVI functions
- EKAVI Group
- EKAVI Mahithi Hakku -RTI
- EKAVI Meetings and Minutes
- ekavi sabhe
- EKAVI Schools
- EKAVI Suvarna Karnataka Program
- EKAVI USA
- EKAVI YUVAPREMI
- GOK SCHOOL ADOPTION PROGRAM
- Google Kannada
- Govt. of Karnataka – GoK
- History of Karnataka
- Kannada and Kannadigas North America
- Kannada and Linux
- Kannada and Open source
- Kannada Blogs
- KANNADA CARTOONS
- Kannada Chair Issues
- Kannada chalavaligalu
- KANNADA CLASS
- KANNADA COOKING
- Kannada DASA SAHITYA
- KANNADA eMagazines ePatrikes
- Kannada Films Screening in USA
- KANNADA FONTS
- Kannada Fonts Developers
- Kannada Fonts Piracy
- Kannada gadegalu
- Kannada Ganaka Parishat
- Kannada Googlepages
- KANNADA GREETINGS
- KANNADA GROUPS
- Kannada Kali of USA
- KANNADA KARNATAKA
- KANNADA KARNATAKA RAJYOTASAVA
- KANNADA kavanas
- Kannada Kootas
- Kannada Kootas, Sanghas – GULF
- Kannada Kootas, Sanghas – SINGAPORE
- Kannada Kootas, Sanghas-New Zealand
- Kannada Kootas,Assocations,Sanghas-CANADA
- KANNADA Kootas,Associations,Sanghas-USA
- KANNADA Language Issues
- KANNADA Learning Centers
- Kannada Lessons
- KANNADA Movies
- Kannada Nadina Prakruthiya Chitragalu
- Kannada News
- Kannada News Articles
- KANNADA On Line
- Kannada on YoUTube
- KANNADA Open Source
- Kannada Pressreleases
- Kannada Radio
- Kannada Related Associations
- KANNADA SAMMELANA
- Kannada Sanghas, Balagas, Kootas – UK
- Kannada Shalegalu
- Kannada Software Development -KSD
- KANNADA Songs
- Kannada Talents
- KANNADA teaching in USA
- KANNADA TV Channels
- KANNADA WEBSITES
- Kannada Writers
- kannaDada bagge
- KANNADAKootas,Associations – AUSTRALIA
- Kannadigas Blogs
- KARNATAKA KANNADA DASARA
- Karnataka RTI
- Karnataka World Heritage Sites
- Kavanagalu by Kannadigas
- KDA – Kannada Development Authority
- KGP Founder Secretary on KSD issues
- KSD Disscussions
- KSD meetings
- Learn Kannada
- Legends of Karnataka
- Mahithi Hakku
- matagalu, Math
- Muttukrishnan on KGP, Nudi and KAGAPA
- Mysore Dasara
- N R I Kannadigas
- Nanjundappa Report
- nisarga – parisara premigala maasika patrike
- Oggattinalli balavide Kannadigare
- ORKUT Kannada
- Pavanaja on NUDI, Baraha and KGP
- Primary Healthcare Centers – PHC's
- Project Shiksha and Microsoft
- RCILTS Kannada
- RTI Act – Mahithi Hakku
- RULERS of MYSORE /Karnataka
- SAMPADA KANNADA
- SAMPIGE Srinivas
- Sarojini Mahishi Report
- Sathyanaryana on NUDI, BARAHA and KGP
- Schools in Karnataka State
- Sheshadri Vasu
- Short Stories by Kannadigas
- Spoken Kannada
- Suvarana Karnataka
- Temples of Karnataka
- Wikipedia Kannada
- WRITERS in KANNADA
- Yahoo Kannada